How to Deal With Day-to-Day STRESS
A little worry or anxiety is a motivator and helps is to work towards our goals, but too much worry and anxiety can cause mental or physical effects. We all have stressful situations in our lives — exams, new relationships or relationship break-ups, relocation, holidays, health problems, work tension, the list keeps growing. By recognizing the signs of stress before it becomes overpowering, we can deal more calmly with the slings and arrows that life throws at us.
Typical symptoms of stress are:
- Over-reacting to criticism
- Sweating the small stuff
- Inability to take decisions
- Feeling guilty when relaxing
- Sleep problems
- Increased use of alcohol or tobacco
- Loss of concentration
- Headaches, indigestion, loss of appetite
- Nail-biting or equivalent compulsive actions
- Constantly feeling tense
Since stress is a part of life, how best can we handle it?
- Laughter is the best medicine (sound familiar?). Watch a funny movie or show. Join a fun activity, maybe even play with kids (choose the right kids!)
- Do one thing at a time. Learn to say ‘NO’ if too many demands are placed on you.
- Spend your time with positive-thinking friends. Discuss problems with them – you may find a solution, or at least the problem will seem less daunting
- Accept help. Realize that you are not a superhero, that there are limits to what you can realistically achieve on your own
- Let off steam by shouting or screaming or hitting some inanimate object (preferably not your partner!)
- Make ‘me’ time for hobbies, relaxation and quality time with friends and family.
Each day, when you wake, acknowledge the blessings of your life and choose to be happy – life should be fun, even in tough times!