Six Ways to Up Your Momentum: Taking Your Workouts to a Higher Level
Whether you are new to the gym, practically live in the place, or workout simply to improve your health, you deserve great results from your exercise program. Here are a few simple suggestions to help you get the most bang for your buck when it comes to working out in the gyn, in your home or with a friend.
- Always have a plan and stick to it. Exercise with clear goals in mind (losing weight, building muscle, etc.) and make sure they are reasonable, reachable, and measurable.
- Keep a journal and record each workout session (exercises, sets, repetitions, exercises, how you felt on that day) in a notebook, notepad or on your phone.
- Plan your meals and healthy snacks according to your activity level each day. On workout days, up your calories, especially protein; on more sedentary days, cut back, especially the carbohydrates.
- Effective and safe resistance/weight training requires that you execute proper form with each repetition of every set. When in doubt, go online or better yet, hire a personal trainer for a few sessions to teach you the right form, the correct exercises, etc.
- Remember, you don’t have to be in a gym to get a dynamite workout. Take exercise outdoors, make it fresh by walking, swimming, biking, or hiking. Find an outdoor Tai Chi group or a yoga class on the beach.
- Stay consistent with your program. You may feel washed out or lethargic, but if you push just a little bit harder, you’ll find that after 10 minutes you will really get into it and have a good time. Just don’t exercise if you have a fever or chills.
Remember, a fitness lifestyle takes daily commitment, work, and often sacrifice. Try and have fun when you exercise, and it will become a habit that will have wonderful and long-lasting benefits way beyond 2021!