The Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County (@arshtcenter) is pleased to announce event details for ARTSLAUNCH2018 (#ArtsLaunch2018), a free annual celebration to kick off South Florida’s arts season and celebrate the Center’s official box office opening, on September 8.
Created by the Arsht Center in partnership with the local arts community and DWNTWN Art Days, ARTSLAUNCH2018 includes a Community Arts Village featuring more than 100 of South Florida’s cultural organizations, mini performances, interactive workshops, dance classes, chef demos, kids’ activities, walking tours, food and beverage vendors, live bands and DJs, and more. On that day, the public will also have the first opportunity to purchase tickets to more than 170 shows for the Arsht Center’s 13th season – with no handling fees all day.
ARTS AND CULTURE EVENTS
- Miami DDA Community Arts Village – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Everyone is invited to stroll through the Ziff Ballet Opera House stage where more than 100 of Miami’s cultural organizations will showcase their arts offerings for the upcoming season in an indoor street fair. Bonus – guests are encouraged to take selfies on stage!
- Dance Classes on Stage – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Guests interested in learning new dance moves are encouraged to participate in free dance classes on the Knight Concert Hall stage. The 45-minute sessions will include swing, hip-hop, line dancing, Haitian kompa led by KOTR (Konpa on the Rise) pros, salsa by the ever-popular Salsa Lovers, and flamenco led by renowned dancer and choreographer Siudy Garrido.
- Broadway in Miami – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Broadway lovers will have the opportunity to participate in interactive activities inspired by the Arsht Center’s 2018-2019 Broadway in Miami series which includes Hello, Dolly!, Waitress, Les Misérables, Come From Away, School of Rock, Irving Berlin’s White Christmas and Disney’s The Lion King, along with Hamilton which will be making its Miami premiere in the 2019-2020 season. Broadway activations will be located throughout the Center’s campus.
- Interactive Workshops – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
“Behind-the-scenes” workshops will be offered inside the Carnival Studio Theater by the Center’s resident companies and community arts partners including Florida Grand Opera, Miami City Ballet, New World Symphony, Zoetic Stage, City Theatre, Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and more!
- A cappella Corner – 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Seven of Miami’s most talented high school and college a capella groups will converge in the Knight Concert Hall lobby to provide a day full of vocal harmony and tonal delight – ALL voices without music! Participating groups will include North Miami High School, Melodic Minors from Miami Arts Studio, Ronald Reagan High School, Coral Reef High School, Florida International University Concert Choir, Maverick Singers and South Florida Harmony from Miami Arts Studio.
- Mini Performances – 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Intimate 30-minute performances will be offered inside the Ziff Ballet Opera House and Knight Concert Hall’s Green Rooms. Featured artists include: Miami Symphony Orchestra, Microtheater Miami (English and Spanish performances), Miami Music Project, Joltradio.org, South Florida Symphony, Stratus4 String Quartet, Of One Mind, and Miami Theater Center.
- ARTSLAUNCH@NIGHT – 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
End the day on a high note with an evening concert featuring live music from local bands and DJs such as DJ Kumi, Jahfé and Locos Por Juana on the Thomson Plaza for the Arts.
FOOD AND DRINKS
- Farmers Market (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), The Café at Books & Books (10 a.m. to 9 p.m.) –
Florida-grown seasonal fruits and vegetables, meats, prepared food and beverages will be available for purchase at the Arsht Center’s Farmers Market. The Café at Books & Books will be open for dining to all guests. Reservations are encouraged.
- Pop-Ups and Concessions* – Starting at 10 a.m.
- Pasta Pop-Up – BRAVA by Brad Kilgore’s Porcini Campanelle pasta dish. Optional pairings include wine selections from Treasury Wines.
- Burger Depot – BRAVA’s famous gourmet burger. Optional pairings include Bacardi Traditional, Summer Blueberry or Strawberry Mojitos.
- Sicilian Pizza Station – Pizza pies. Optional pairing is Pommery POP, the official champagne of the Arsht Center.
- MadLab Creamery – Pastry chef Soraya Kilgore will offer a variety of delectable and unique creamy delights direct from Design District outpost.
- Concession Stations will be offering a selection of hand-crafted sandwiches, popcorn, candy, chips, gourmet cheese, water, sodas, juices and a full liquor bar. All items will be available for purchase.
- Chef Demonstrations – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Enjoy light tastings from the Center’s on-site restaurant, BRAVA By Brad Kilgore, during two chef demonstrations. James Beard Award semifinalist Chef Brad Kilgore will demonstrate the culinary skills responsible that made BRAVA By Brad Kilgore one of Miami’s hottest restaurants! Each chef demonstration lasts approximately 20-30 minutes. Entrance is not guaranteed due to limited capacity (first come, first admitted).
- A Taste of BRAVA – 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Foodies can enjoy a selection of small plates at BRAVA by Brad Kilgore. Menu items available for purchase include an Eggplant Parmesan Tartlet, Beef Wellington, Crab Risotto, Tiramisu and more.
- Culturist Bacardi Hour – 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.
Guests will experience the best of the Arsht Center with an interactive and informational behind-the-scenes look at the Center’s Culturist membership program inside the Ziff Ballet Opera House Patrons Club. Limited capacity (first come, first admitted). Cheers!
- Chef Allen’s Farm-To-Table Dinner – 6:30 p.m.
Enjoy Chef Allen’s Farm-to-Table Dinner – a five-course, vegetarian meal. The highly creative menu is prepared by the James Beard award-winning chef and is served family-style at a shared communal table, under the stars with live music. Cost is $30 per person, with an $18 optional wine pairing. Reservations suggested.
BOX OFFICE OPENING
In addition to the ARTSLAUNCH2018 activities, the Arsht Center’s box office will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., offering guests a chance to be one of the first to buy tickets for 170+ shows in the 2018-2019 season – with no handling fees all day* (in-person only). Ticket may also be purchased by calling 305-949-6722 or online at arshtcenter.org (phone and online transactions will incur fees).