On Saturday, June 22, the Museum of Discovery and Science invites the south Florida community and visitors to attend its first ever Family Pride Day in alignment with nationally celebrated LGBTQ+ Pride Month. The event will be held at the Museum from 10 am to 5 pm with special programming. Admission is free for City of Fort Lauderdale residents (with valid ID) and $5 admission for non-residents.
Family Pride Day activities include:
- 10:30 am – IMAX showing of the powerful documentary exploring the love, compassion, sacrifice, and success of LGBT families in America, Families Like Yours, on the biggest screen in south Florida
- 11 am – Create Spin Art masterpieces
- 11:50 am – Performance by the Gay Men’s Chorus South Florida
- 12 pm – MODS Honoree of the Day and City of Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis
- 1 pm – Colorful KABOOM! Show
- 2 pm – Presentation by LGBTQ+ Scientist Panel
- 3 pm – Story Time with a Drag Queen
- 4 pm – Colorful KABOOM! Show
MODS is known as a family-friendly community connector. Diversity and inclusion are at the forefront of the Museum’s everyday experiences. Approximately one year ago, the Museum implemented a LGBTQ+ Inclusivity Initiative, hired an inclusivity coordinator, conducted community outreach programs, implemented internal trainings, policies and procedures, as well as marketing materials and expanded overall community presence. The program has been made possible through support from the following Community Foundation of Broward funds: Richard Frisby and Edward Burkhart Fund, Gay and Lesbian Broward Community Fund, Edwin A. and Jane N. Huston Fund, Everett H. Metcalf, Jr. Unrestricted Fund and Mary N. Porter Community Impact Fund. The Families Like Yours screening is sponsored by the National LGBT Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC).
“The Inclusivity Initiative at MODS furthers our commitment to creating a vibrant and accepting museum experience for all families,” said Joseph Cox, Museum president and CEO. “Family Pride Day is a unique opportunity to show our support for all of south Florida’s diverse families. We are creating a culture of hospitality where diversity is celebrated. We take pride in being a museum where everyone can learn and rediscover science through our programs as an individual or family.”
For more information about MODS Family Pride Day, please visit mods.org.