Governor Pat Quinn legalizes civil unions for same sex couples in Illinois joining five other states yesterday! “Today is an important day in the history of our state because today we are showing the world that the people of Illinois believe in equality for all,” said the Governor.
Senate Bill 1716, The Illinois Religious Freedom Protection and Civil Union Act, goes into effect June 1st.
For same sex and heterosexual couples, who enter into a civil union, the rights include:
- Hospital Visitation Rights
- Ability to make emergency medical decisions for partners
- Ability to share a room in a nursing home
- Adoption and parental rights
- Pension benefits
- Inheritance rights
- The right to dispose of a partner’s remains